5 Important functions of Vit C on the skin
- Vit C is a strong antioxidant. It reduces oxidative stress by sequentially donating electrons to neutralise the free radicals. UV light interacts with skin to produce ROS (Reactive oxygen species) such as the superoxide ion, peroxide and singlet oxygen which cause the photo damage. Vit C acts on these and reduces the damage.
- Vit C prevents photageing. The commonest reason for skin aging is sun exposure and its reaction on the skin. Prevention of UV-induced erythema, sunburn cell formation and inducing collagen repair helps fight photoageing.
- Vit C increases collagen synthesis thus improving wrinkles. Not only increasing collagen synthesis but improving the quality of the existing skin collagen.
- Vit C reduces pigmentation of the skin. It inhibits action of the enzyme tyrosinase which is the most important reason for melanin formation.
- Vit C promotes wound healing and prevents post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as it has potential anti-inflammatory property.
This content was originally published here.